Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Humble Pie

Her name was Mary, I could tell by the name badge she was wearing. She had glossy blonde hair to her shoulders and eyes that were icy blue. She was walking towards me with a prominent look on her face. I walked towards her. The look changed. She stretched out a suntanned arm and pointed in the direction of the bread section. Spooky. I lifted a hand to wave goodbye when she walked even closer.
"Oh, Darling ... You really are quite a beauty" she spoke softly.
"Why yes" I replied, ever the modest
"Do you think that I am pretty ?" she asked.
"Yes"
"What about her ?" she asked again. As she spoke she pointed in the direction of the can section, towards a rather obese woman; around about 25 years old with long black hair tied back in a messy french plait. She turned around. I could see she had grey eyes and very pale skin, like marble. The woman wore a bright orange T-shirt and denim shorts; tied together with doc martins. It was March.
"Well ..." I didn't want to say any more.
She laughed.
"Here's a bit of humble pie for you darling. Don't think that just because she is fat it means she doesn't have feelings"
I blushed. Of course I wasn't thinking that. That she didn't have feelings. That was just random. Who was this Mary anyway ? I didn't even know that. I didn't like her.
"W..wh..what ?!" I said. With this she raced of, outside the shop into a BMW.
"I am never coming to the Co-op again "

No comments:

Post a Comment